Preparedness Challenge: Week 10

This is your challenge for the week of March 2 through March 8.

You know the drill, if you need any information about this challenge you'll find it under the Preparedness Challenge Label.

Week 10:

We are still making copies to be placed behind our Property Records divider. This week, make copies of any appraisals you have of jewelry or other valuables. I have nothing valuable enough that requires an appraisal, so this will be an easy week for me! Yay!

When shopping, buy extra mixes for your storage. Cake, pancake, muffin, Bisquick, cookie, etc.. (Or, you can make your own, which is what I'll be doing.) If you buy your items, don't forget to date them. This is imperative when rotating your storage.

The other day I saw a Make-A-Mix cookbook at the D.I. that I thought about buying. This cookbook has a lot of recipes in it for dry mixes that you can make from scratch, in advance of when you'll need them. I didn't buy the book, though, because I thought I still had my mom's copy at home. Turns out I don't, so, I'll be stopping there Monday.

This week's storage challenge will be difficult for me, because I don't like to purchase packaged foods. I like to cook from scratch, and further, when I use flour, I like to grind my flour right when I need it. I'm a flour snob that way. I don't want to lose the nutrients by letting it sit until I need it. However, I don't own a hand crank wheat mill, yet, so I would be better off having some mixes made for emergencies. Especially if I didn't have electricity. I'm sure being well-fed during an emergency is more important than being a flour snob.

I'm working on a sheet that you can print and slip into the front of your binder. I thought I would have it ready for this post, but I don't. So, if you still need a cover sheet, I'll have one soon. Until then....good luck with week 10 of the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment